This date and maple scones recipe is so full of flavor that you will make them time and time again. This recipe is very easy, anyone can do it!
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour + extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 1/8 cup maple syrup (Honey is also good)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces.
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg + 2 tablespoons water for glazing
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon well in mixing bowl.
Add butter to flour mixture and pinch through until flour has course crumb texture.
Stir in milk and dates but work the dough as little as possible.
Roll dough out to about a 1/2 inch - 1 inch thick round. You may separate the dough before rolling it for smaller wedges.
Cut wedges as if you were cutting pie.
Place wedges on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
Brush top and sides of each wedge with egg/water mixture.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. *Time will vary according to how large your wedges are.