These little lemon meringue pies are perfect for parties. Use egg roll wraps instead of traditional pastry crusts. They are easy to make and your guests will love them.
- 10 egg roll wraps cut in half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons Grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- With the 10 egg roll wraps cut in half, roll each piece, from end to end to form a cone. Seal edge with water and press into greased muffin tins. The corners will stick up above the top, and if you press the inner center of each, they will form nicely in the cups.
- Bake them for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, in a preheated 350 degree F oven. Try not to leave them in too long or the tips will burn.
- Combine sugar and corn starch in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth.
- Stir in egg yolks and lemon peel.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Be patient, it will take a bit!
- Remove from heat and stir in butter. The curd will thicken even more as it cools so keep that in mind when you are cooking to desired thickness.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of curd to avoid the skin that covers it with air exposure.
- Refrigerate until completely cold.
- Beat with mixer to loosen it up when you are ready to use!
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar to a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and form stiff peaks.
- Do not make this until each baked cup is filled with lemon curd, waiting for it.
- Fill each cup with lemon curd, warm or cold is fine.
- Prepare the meringue.
- Top each cup of lemon curd with a generous amount of meringue. I use a pastry bag with a star tip for a nice swirl.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven about 5 minutes or until the meringue tips are golden brown.
- Cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.