This cheddar and parmesan cheesy au gratin recipe is full of ham with subtle sourcream and chive flavors layered in the baked casserole dish.
- 4-5 large potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sourcream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 stick or 1/4 cup of butter
- 2 tablespoons chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a 9" x 9" baking dish or casserole dish, coat bottom and sides with butter.
- Coat sliced potatoes with flour and reserve the remaining flour.
- Begin layering pan with flour coated potato slices. Overlap the edges of potato slices for you have a complete layer without gaps.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of reserved flour over potato layer.
- Add salt and pepper to each layer of flour as desired.
- Using thin slices of butter (aproximately 1/4 of the measured amount), scatter randomly over flour.
- Add your chives to the sourcream, place sourcream in ziplock baggie, and cut a small hole in the corner to pipe sourcream and chives in a zigzag pattern over butter. Be sure you figure the amount in each layer to split between 4 layers)
- Add a quarter of the diced ham being sure it is evenly distributed.
- Pace a layer of each cheese, being sure to reserve enough for 4 equal layers.
- Begin another layer beginning with Potatoes following steps 3-9 until all ingredients are used.
- Top with extra cheese and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours (90 minutes) or until potatoes are tender and top is browned and crunchy.
- Allow the au gratin to set for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.