Follow me on Pinterest

Friday, April 19, 2013

Scrapple

This scrapple recipe uses pork hocks and beef neck bones whereas traditional scrapple may use any pieces or parts left from butcher cuts. It has a more modern appeal without the organ meats and other waste products. I add Spanish olive slices to make it a bit like luncheon loaf. A more modern and subtle approach to scrapple.

While this is not a recipe that uses exact amounts of every ingredient, it is easy to make and should come together nicely if you follow all of the steps similarly.

I simply added a package of beef neck bones (meat on) and 6 pork hocks. I added about a quart more water and a pouch with all of the seasonings listed below, so there wouldn't be too many seasonings floating around in it. Add amounts to suit your own tastes. I intend on using less of these the next time around.

Since I have never had scrapple before this, I looked around for seasonings that were normally added to it, and I selected the ones that I had on hand. Next time this list will be much smaller so that it will have less of a bold flavor.
  • 2-3 pounds pork hocks, knuckles or any other fatty pork cuts will work
  • 2 pounds beef neck bone with meat on, or use beef liver or tails, whichever you prefer.
Amounts of meat and liquid will depend on each other, but the cornmeal really seals the deal and this is a good starting point for learning how to customize this old recipe with your own tastes.

This is still warm scrapple leveled in pans to refrigerate

I did this is a crock pot over a period of 2 days, but you can do it in a few hours. Let me explain...I made a pork roast in the crock pot which I cooked slow through the night. I used the pork roast for barbecue pulled pork, but I reserved the stock, and there was about a half gallon or better.









In the following list, those crossed out will be the flavors I choose to eliminate the next time around.

Seasonings:
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Dried minced onions
  • Garlic powder
  • Nutmeg
  • Mace
  • Salt
  • Thyme
  • Chili powder
  • Sage
  • Rosemary
  • Celery flakes
  • Oregano
  • Cracked black pepper
  • Cajun Seasoning

I cooked the added meats all day and through the night in the crock pot on low. That's 2 nights if you count the first from the pork roast that I used for a different meal. You do not have to start with stock, and can simply just put your scrapple meats into water in the crock with the same effect. Mine is very strong flavored.

Once the meats were cooked tender, I removed everything from the stock, and separated the meat from the bones. I also peeled the thicker skins from the hocks out of it and discarded them.

I ground the meat in a chopper until it was very tiny minced or mush. Add the meat mush back to the stock, along with sliced Spanish olives if desired.

Increase the crock pot heat to high, and add about 4 cups of cornmeal and 2 cups of flour stirring until smooth and lump free.

Cover the crock pot and cook for 1 -2 hours, stirring occasionally so it does not burn or clump. If you need more fluid, simply add additional water. The consistency should be very thick. It should be thick enough to have to spread it even and tap the pans to level it.

Pour the finished meal into loaf pans (I used 2 standard 9", and 3 smaller 4" pans.

Drop filled pans from 3-4 inches off counter surface or tap pans on the surface to level the tops.

Refrigerate over night or for several hours until they set up or gel up.

Remove from pans and slice into desired thickness.

Place a piece of wax paper between each slice and freeze excess.

Coat slices in flour and fry in butter or oil until crisp and browned on each side.

Serve with eggs, on sandwiches or with jam or syrup.

I am pleased with the results of this attempt, but seeing as how I have never even tasted scrapple, I decided to purchase some so that I knew what the texture and taste should be without depending on how others recall it. I decided to go on the sampler below because all I needed was a taste, and there are other samples included which are traditional Philadelphia eats! Click the photo below if you are interested in this Philly sampler! If you have never tasted scrapple, I would recommend this before you attempt making it!





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...