Call these spicy pumpkin cupcakes or muffins. I make them as cupcakes and frost them with a lightly flavored pumpkin frosting. The crumb is soft and moist with a flavor everybody loves. Add raisins if you like for heartier muffins, or icing for a great cupcake.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin mash
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
|These were decorated for Easter brunch.|
I let the kids color fondant eggs with edible markers!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together oil, sugars, eggs, and pumpkin until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- Begin adding your dry mixture to the wet mixture a little at a time mixing well with each addition.
- Line standard sized muffin pan with 12 - 14 cupcake liners. (12 if you want them high, 14 if you want them less domed)
- Fill each liner 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks completely before frosting.
Get the pumpkin frosting recipe here!