This is a homemade stuffing recipe perfect for stuffing meats and poultry. A slight sage and onion flavor that can be vegetarian or meat stock infused. Its great to eat as a side dish as well!
- 5 slices whole grain bread
- 1 cup meat or vegetable stock
- 1 tablesppon minced dried onion
- 1 tablespoon dried celery leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cut your bread into 1 inch cubes.
- Add bread cubes to dry skillet on low heat.
- Allow bread cubes to dry, stirring occasionally to dry every side.
- Add all seasoning to hot stock.
- Pour stock evenly over dried bread cubes and stir to evenly coat.
- Allow stuffing or dressing (whichever you call it) to continue on low temperature, stirring occasionally until everything is dried again.
- If you are using the stuffing immediately, you may leave it as is only cooking long enough to absorb all of the flavors.
- I like to use this recipe for stuffed pork chops, but I like to fill the chops with stuffing a bit drier so that all of the pork favors soften the stuffing slowly!
- You can also do this in your oven on a sheet pan, and low temperature.
- It takes a while, so be patient!