Follow me on Pinterest

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Granos - Puerto Rican Rice Patties

A little correction: I left out the "s" at the end of Granos!

These little fried rice patties are a recipe, or rather, more of a method that I learned from my step father when I was a child. He called them Granos, which means grain apparently.

Granos is a rice patty made by grinding rice finely, like flour, and then making a thick paste by steaming the watery mush, and frying the patties in oil. Granos is crunchy on the outside and firm but soft and creamy on the inside. I add a lot of salt to it because I love salty grano.



You can also fill these with cheese. They are absolutely unbelievable with seriously sharp cheddar or pepperjack.

While I was making these, I didn't measure anything out, and I just sort of went with the feel of everything. These are more instruction rather than exact measures.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rice ground into flour like texture. (See below for details)
  • Water - enough to make a watery mush.
  • Salt (to your own taste...I like them salty)
  • oil for frying


Directions:

Use a coffee grinder or similar chopper/grinder to grind 1 cup of uncooked white rice into meal. It will look very fine, but you will feel some grainy texture if you hold it in your fingers.

In a small mixing bowl, add rice flour and salt.

Pour enough water into rice flour to create a VERY liquid mush. Stir until completely combined.

Steam this liquidy mush until the starch is gelled up.
Here is the way I do it in order not to lose that starchy liquid. I used a large kettle, half filled with water. I place a piece of cloth material over the pot of water and tied it on just below the lip on the top of the pan. I pushed the material down into the pan enough to create a bowl. I brought the pot of water to a boil and returned it to med-med high heat, and poured my rice mush into the material bowl. Put the lid on and let it steam, moving the thickened mush around occasionally until it is thick and starchy. It should be pretty solid, but moist at the same time.

Remove it from the cloth bowl.

Allow this steamed mush to cool.

If you would like to add a bit of cooked rice for texture, this is the time to do that! Sometimes I do, and other times I don't because either way, these are just wonderful...especially the memory for me.

Once the mixture is cool and thickened a bit more, grease your hands with oil or you can use rice flour to coat your hands. I like the oil, as the rice flour makes a harder crunch than I like.

I also like to use a small cookie dough scoop then just slightly flatten the balls into patties in the oil with a fork.

Drop patties/tots into hot oil and fry until each side is lightly golden brown and crispy.

Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.

My husband likes them with a dipping sauce. I like them with a little black bean salsa!

This image here is of the tot sized patties I got when I used the small cookie dough scoop, and flattened them down a bit using a fork when they hit the oil. If you do it this way, make sure you have a butter knife or something to push the patty off the fork...it will stick.

Use butter flavored crisco and a lot of salt, and your grano will taste like popcorn. This is fun to do and you make the patties small popcorn size :)

This recipe is well worth the effort for me, and I have tried in the paste to just cook the rice and grind it down but it was not the same as steaming the flour mush.

For added texture, you may add cooked rice to your rice dough.

I don't know if the rice flour you purchase in stores will work or not. I have always ground my rice myself for this. If you try it, please let me know if store bought rice flour works the same.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...