This fry bread tacos recipe is much like Indian fry bread, and is perfect for any sandwich fillings. This fry bread is filled with ground beef taco fill and chopped veggies. Use cheddar cheese, salsa, and sourcream to top it all off.
Cast Iron skillets are the way to go with these fry breads. Like the ones pictured above!
- 4-5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 table spoons shortening or lard melted
- Oil for frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- minced garlic (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or Cajun Seasoning.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 packet taco seasoning
Additional fill ingredients:
- Chopped onions
- Chopped bell peppers
- Sliced black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Salsa or taco sauce
- Jalepeneo peppers chopped
- Lettuce chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- In a large bowl, and hot water and yeast. The water should be about 110 degrees F, or hand washing temperature.
- Add yeast, salt, sugar, dry milk powder, and melted shortening or lard. Stir.
- Knead in flour a bit at a time until you have a soft workable dough.
- let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch risen dough down.
- Cut into 8-10 equal sized pieces.
- Roll each piece out in a 8-10 inch round disk shape.
- Set each round on a lightly sprayed (greased) surface. (I spray the table or counter.)
- Allow to rise 15 minutes.
- While your disks are rising, heat oil for frying in a fry pan. It should be shallow, about 2 inches deep.
- Keep oil at 350-375 degrees F.
- Fry each bread on each side until golden brown.
- The breads will bubble up and dome, just press the bubble with whatever utensil you are working with to keep it from expanding/bubbling up too much.
- Drain breads on paper towels. You will probably need to pat each bread with paper towel to absorb any extra oil. They do tend to be greasy if you do not do this.
- Fill each disk as you would fill a taco.
- In fry pan, sautee ground beef with all other ingredients and seasonings added except the taco seasoning.
- Once ground beef is browned, drain grease.
- Return to pan and add 1/2 cup water and the taco seasoning packet.
- Allow to cook on medium heat until all liguid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon a generous amount of meat filling into the center line of each fry bread disk.
- Add additional fill ingredients in layers over the meat mixture.
- Fold bread in half, enclosing filling like a taco.
- Add plenty of sour cream and salsa over the fillings, eat and enjoy!
If you have a pizza stone, you may prefer to bake the bread disks. In that case, bake in preheated 425 degree F oven 15- 20 minutes. They will be stiffer in texture but without the added grease!