Follow me on Pinterest

Monday, April 1, 2013

Deviled Eggs: Hatching Chicks

These deviled eggs are super cute, and I got the idea from a Face Book re-post that was shared with out the original artist information, or website. I decided to do a search to see if I could track down the original idea that MANY people have used. Sadly, I was unable to find the original idea genius! If you know where this idea came from originally, please let me know, so I can credit the work of the first one with this idea. 
 
This is my version of the wonderful, kid friendly, deviled chicks!
I was happy with them, but think they would have come out cleaner/neater looking if I had used my piping bag.

This is not really a recipe, but an expansion on the assembly of these cute little hatching deviled egg chicks.

  • I used 12 boiled eggs- 1 for each guest, and Our meal was set beginning with a single chick on each plate.
  • Cut each egg in half the opposite direction than you would for traditional deviled eggs.
  • I emptied the yolks into a separate bowl and mashed them with only mayonnaise and mustard.
  • For the shells, I simply used scissors to cut "v" marks around the edges of both the tops and bottoms of the shells.
  • I made sure to cut the bottoms of the whites only enough so they would sit flat with out falling over.
  • I filled each bottom with yolk mixture and built it up high enough to allow space for a little face.
  • I placed the top half of the cracked shell on the top, or what will become the head of the chick.
  • Using two peppercorns for eyes, I placed them just under the top shell where I wanted the face to be.
  • I cut a few pieces of frozen carrot (thawed) into very small, triangular pieces for the beaks. Make sure you press the flat edged of the carrot into the yolk mixture so that the point sticks out resembling a beak.

***If you take a close look at the photo above, I tried using chives and bacon bits for eyes, and it was alright...I just liked how the peppercorns looked much better.

That's all there is to it. It takes a bit of time, but the results are well worth the effort when all of your guests are sweetened with "how cute." 

My 5 year old grandson just loved them, and that in it's self made my day!

Again, if you know where the original artist on these resides...PLEASE let me know, so that I can credit the proper person for this now popular idea!


 




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...