This beef and bean filling for burritos is the best I have ever eaten. It is simple to make yourself, and its easy to assemble with tortilla shells you can pick up at the grocery store or make your own with my recipe for burritos. In this burrito recipe, I use equal amounts of beef and beans.
- Tortilla shells - try my recipe for easy flour tortillas
- 1 pound cooked pinto beans drained
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 whole onion chopped (I use large size)
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- chili powder to taste
- Chili peppers minced to taste (you decide how spicy you like it)
- Tabasco Sauce (I use about a tablespoon instead of chili's, but my husband likes both added)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water (amount depends on the thickness you desire.
In a fry pan, brown your ground beef, onions, bell pepper and garlic.
In a mixing bowl, add the cooked and drained pinto beans, and either mash down by hand or you can use a mixer. If it is too thick for your mixer, simple add a little water.
Once your beans are mashed down, add them to the ground beef and cook together, adding water if needed to reach the proper consistency.
Add any remaining ingredients to suit your own tastes.
Begin filling warmed burrito shells (they are more pliable when warmed a bit) by adding a couple tablespoons of the beef and bean filling to the center of the disk.
Fold the closest edge of the disk onto the filling, this will be considered the bottom short edge.
Next fold the right edge over the filling to meet the opposite edge of the fill.
Now fold the top edge down and finally the left side seals it all up!
Turn filled burritos over so the seam side is down.
Add cheese before folding if you choose to.
I always eat mine with a bit of salsa and sourcream.