These crispy tuna bites melt in your mouth, and have just the right spice in them. The combination of crackers and sesame seeds in the coating provides a perfectly crisp shell and a tasty moist tuna bite! Try the same coating on square cut chunks of any fish!
- 2 cans tuna in water, drained completely
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk (milk will work too)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup saltine crackers crumbled to fine crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Mix drained tuna, dried onions, and 1 egg. The tuna mixture will be kind of soft and sticky but don’t add crumbs or flour to it!
- In a different bowl, mix buttermilk and the second egg well.
- Using a plate for dredging, combine flour, cornstarch, cracker crumbs, sesame seeds and Cajun spice. Combine thoroughly.
- Taking small amounts, enough to make a 1 inch ball, roll tuna mixture as tightly as you can into a ball with your hands.
- Dredge tuna balls into flour, then egg and buttermilk mixture, then back into flour mixture.
- Place 1 ball at a time slowly into hot oil until the coating begins to crisp before you completely let go (I put 2 at a time on my metal slotted spoon and held them in the oil until just crisp, then I let go.)
- Try not to crowd them in the fryer.
- Deep fry tuna bites until the coating is browned and crunchy. Drain on paper towels, and serve hot!