These lemon cupcakes have a light and airy crumb with a subtle lemon flavor. The berry frosting has a pretty lavender color flavored by blackberry jam or preserves. A lightly flavored delicious combo.
I did these with my five year old grandson, so I have included all of those photos here too. It is a good way to spend quality time together!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and lemon extract, beat.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder together.
- A little at a time and alternately, add flour mix and milk to wet mixture, mixing completely before next addition.
- Line standard sized cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 way.
- DO NOT OVER FILL because if they rise over the liner, they will flatten out and give you dry crisp edges.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes until tops spring back when touched, or tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks or 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup berry flavored preserves or jam. Use jam if you intend on piping with a smaller tip.
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Mix butter and jam completely.
Add extract and sugar until completely blended and smooth.
Pipe or spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and decorate if desired!