This beef and barley soup has plenty of beef flavor paired with a veggie and tomatoe based broth. You can never put enough barley in soups like these.
- 1 lb. Stew beef
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1 cup carrots jullienne or diced
- 1 cup peas or pods (I used pods)
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup each diced red and green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 - 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon each: Oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, cracked black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon cajun season or Louisanna spice.
- Salt as needed
- Approximately 10 cups water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large kettle on medium high heat, add olive oil, beef, onion, bell pepper and celery.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Sautee until beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add water and remainder of ingredients.
- Cover and continue cooking on medium heat until barley and veggies are fully cooked to preferences.
- I add my veggies a bout half way through cooking so they stay snappy.
- Add water as it cooks if needed to sustain broth level.
- Salt to taste.