Red Velvet Cake is a southern favorite here in Alabama. A hint of chocolate in the deep red cake gives it it's well known appeal paired with a sweet and creamy cream cheese frosting. Around here, it is one of the most popular requests!
- 2 ½ c. flour
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. cocoa
- 1 ½ c. veg oil
- 1 c. sour milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz. red color
- 1 t. vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. butter at room temperature
- 5 c. Powdered sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 lb. cream cheese at room temperature
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, red color, egg, vanilla, vinegar, and oil in a medium sized mixing bowl until smooth.
- In a seperate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Mix well.
- Begin adding the sour milk and flour mixture to the wet mixure alternately, stirring together before next addition.
- Mix until cake batter is smooth and lump free.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Once cakes are cool, level the top of each, cutting away the domed area on top.
Reserve cake trimmings and crumble into cake crumbs.
To make the frosting:
- Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, mixing in completely a little at a time until smooth.
Assemble and frost the cake:
- Spread a layer of frosting on the top of the bottom cake layer.
- Place second cake evenly on the first layer.
- Frost the cake completely.
- Take the cake crumbs from the trimming and press it into the frosting all the way around the edges of the cake.
***Because of the cream cheese. this cake must be refridgerated. It is okay at room temperature long enough for a party or event but not too long!