Follow me on Pinterest

Friday, February 15, 2013

Red Rice and Beans

Yield: Serves a large family

This rice and beans recipe came from my Dad (step) who was born and raised in Puerto Rico. The red color comes from annatto oil and or Goya Sazone with the color and tomato sauce. This recipe contains dark red kidney beans but just about any kind of bean may be used.



When I make Red Rice and Beans, I usually serve it with Chicken or pork. In this photo, you can see a Cranberry Apple Glazed Broiled Pork Chop which I served my family for Valentines Day. Get the glaze recipe at the link below. You will be delighted to use it over and over!
Cranberry Apple Glaze


Red Rice and Beans

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups uncooked white rice
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1 - 15.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans
  • 6 oz. salsa or plain tomato sauce (I use salsa always)
  • 3 tablespoons Annatto oil
  • 2 tablespoons Cilantro
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 packet Goya Sazone
  • Goya Adobo to taste
  • Black pepper to taste



Directions:
In a medium kettle on medium high heat, add annatto oil and all of your seasonings.
Add rice and allow it to heat in the seasoned oil until it is completely and evenly coated stirring constantly.
Add the sauce/salsa and bean, continue stirring.
Add water, stir and allow the mix to boil at least 5 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning. I like to boil it until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, stirring minimally.

***This recipe is very versatile. You may add onions, Spanish olives, which I do frequently along with diced meats. Some times I even use corn instead of beans. Its budget friendly and easy to create your own version.
***If you prefer dryer rice, with hold 1/2 cup of water and boil until all fluid is absorbed before you cover it. I like mine a bit more moist ...almost sticky!





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...