Pineapple Kisses & Coconut Dreams!!!
This Pina Colada Cake is flooded with coconut cream and pineapple juice, and spread with coconut and crushed pineapple as well as a sweet and tangy coconut frosting. This cake must be stored in the refrigerator.
I was inspired to do this cake by a Face Book fan that shared a coconut cake recipe on my page! Thank you Ginny Grantham.
- 1 box white cake mix baked according to package directions
- 1 can cream de coco
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 10 oz. crushed pineapple drained well. Try to push the liquid from it using a colander. Reserve juice.
- 1 cup shredded coconut to top cake
- 10 oz. crushed pineapple for middle layer
- Make icing first. Refigerate 2 - 3 hours
- Mix sour cream, sugar, 10 oz. pineapple, and shredded coconut. Refrigerate 3 hours before frosting cake. Pour off any liquid before stirring after refrigerated.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake.
- Cool cake completely.
- Mix coconut cream and ½ - ¾ cup pineapple juice.
- Punch holes in cake with a fork and pour coconut milk over each half cake.
- After poring coconut, pineapple mixture into cakes, spread the 10 oz. pineapple over the bottom half and place the top half over it.
- Frost the cake with coconut, pineapple icing.
- Sprinkle remaining cup coconut over cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
***Its a bit messy, add more coconut to thicken frosting a bit. I would add an entire cup more to it, and it is very important to allow it to chill for 3-4 hours before frosting your cake. It is definitely tasty just the way it is though.
***I intend on dropping the amount of sugar the next time around. If you do and it still holds, please let me know!
***I had a lot more frosting than I needed. Maybe double the amount, so I am going to see if I can make some rice pudding with it :)
This recipe also attended: