This white cake recipe is very moist with a perfect crumb. It bakes up fluffy but almost level on top, which is helpful when you are putting layers together and want a flat surface.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 sticks soft butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in Vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Begin adding milk and flour mixture alternately, mixing completely before the next addition. Be sure this is mixed smooth.
- In a third bowl, combine egg whites and the remainder of the sugar (1/4 cup).
- Beat on high until soft peaks form.
- Pour the egg white mixture into the batter and gently fold batter over into egg from every angle until it is combined. Do not over work, its okay to see some marbling in your batter.
- Pour half of batter into each of two 8 inch greased cake pans.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool and remove cakes from pan.
Cake Decorating Business Secrets