I have had this croissant recipe for years just scribbled on a piece of paper. Im not sure where the recipe came from, but this recipe is well worth the time put into it. I like larger croissants, so this recipe gives me between 6-8 croissants.
- 1 1/2 t. yeast
- 3 T. hot water
- 1 t. sugar
- 1 ¾ c. flour
- 2 t. sugar
- 1 ½ t. salt
- 2/3 c. warm milk
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. cold butter
- 1 T water
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and hot water. Add sugar, salt and warm milk to flour along w/ yeast mixture.
- Knead 10 min. Rise in bowl till tripled. Pat down gently.
- Rise again till doubled. Deflate gently and chill 20 minutes.
- Roll out into rectangle. Slice half of butter on surface, sprinkle w/ extra flour. Fold.
- Roll out and repeat w/ butter. Refrigerate 2 hrs.
- Repeat and chill 2 more hrs.
- Separate in half. Roll circles. Cut wedges and roll.
- Rise till puffy
- brush croissants whole egg and water wash
- Bake 475 degree F for 12-15 min.