Vegetarian Meatless PiesFor the meat version click the link below.
Fresh mushrooms of choice (about 1-2 cups)
Frozen or fresh veggies of choice.
Cornstarch for thickening
Salt and pepper to taste
(I added some meatless crumbles to these. Its a mock ground beef for veggie eaters, but its not necessary!)
Boil mushrooms and veggies long enough to get a tasty stock.
Mix cornstarch with enough water to dissolve into a creamy liquid.
On medium heat, gradually stir in small amounts of cornstarch into stock, stirring constantly until you get the thickness you are after. I make my gravy a bit thicker.
Set aside and prepare dough below.
2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening or lard
1 dash salt
2 Tablespoons ice water
1 teaspoons white vinegar
additional egg yolk for brushing crusts.
- Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- In smaller, separate bowl, mix the eggs, water, and vinegar. Set aside.
- be sure the fats (butter and shortening) is cold. Cut into smaller pieces (cubes).
- add the fat to the dry ingredients bowl and pinch fat through flour with your fingers until course crumbles appear.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and distribute as evenly as possible without working too much. You want to see marbled fats through out the dough.
- wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When prepared dough is thoroughly chilled, roll out dough on floured surface and fit to the chosen pan sizes.
- This dough is very soft and can be difficult to transfer into pans. Use pastry blades or spachulas to move into pans.
- Fill each bottom crust with filling.
- Roll additional dough out to cover the filling.
- Pinch the edges of the bottom and top crusts together to seal the pies.
- Gently poke a few vent holes in the tops of the pies.
- Use addition egg yolk to brush the tops of the pies.
- Bake at 400 degrees on the lower rack for approximately 45 minutes or until crusts are a darker golden brown.
- Allow pies to set for 15 minutes before serving