Yield: 1 -16 inch round or 3 – 9” crusts
Time: Approx. 2 hours
- 4 cups flour (have more for dusting)
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoon oil
Oven to 475 degrees F
Add hot water to small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in sugar, salt and oil.
Place flour in large mixing bowl, add yeast water all at once, stirring until combined. It may be a bit dry at first. Tip the dough onto kneading surface, and knead 10 minutes.
I knead longer when my arms hold up to it, it seems to make the fluffier difference!
Rise once in pans 1 – 2 hrs.
Dress the dough in your favorite pizza toppings!
- Adding 1/4 cup dry milk powder gives it a creamy taste and smoother texture. Just experiment with that!
- It will seem as though your dough is very dry at first. KNEAD...it gets better!
- This dough is very forgiving as long as you get the yeast water going properly and KNEAD! You may do it in any variation of steps and still have successful crust.
- I use a lot of oil in the bottom of my pan, so it gets a fried texture on the bottom. You don't have to.