Follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

All day Crock Pot Beef Stew


The Book Of Beef & 1 000 000 Bonus Recipes


Here we split pop-overs and spooned on the beefy stew!
Delicious over pop-overs, breads, rice, noodles or stands alone!
Yield: Approx 12 bowls
Time: Approx. 1 hr. random work time with prep and stir checks!












Ingredients:
1 ½ lb. Stew Beef
2 c. cut carrots
4 medium to large potatoes
½ c. or a bit more cornstarch
1 onion diced
½ t. minced garlic
Browning sauce if you prefer a darker color
Salt and pepper to taste

***I prefer large cut potatoes and carrots, smaller if I am making Pop-Overs to serve it over.

***Stew is one of those meals that are easy to adjust to your own preference. Personally, I make my beef stew different each time using the basic idea listed here. Soups and stews are always open for additions and variance.

***Small children most likely will prefer smaller cut ingredients because it is easier to handle without having to cut it.

***This particular meal, this stew was served over popovers. http://foodtalkdailyrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/10/pop-overs.html

                                                                                                                                

Directions:
1.      Sear meat in hot fry pan with a bit of oil, till browned on all sides. This is not necessary, but makes for a darker color meat. You may also add the onion to the pan and caramelize them with the meat. That offers a somewhat different flavor that I enjoy from time to time.

2.      Place the meat, onions, and garlic into a large crock pot and cover 3-4 inches above meat with water. Add salt.

3.      Cover crock and start it on high heat. Do this in the morning (I start mine by 11 am to serve at 5 pm.)

4.      After 3 hours for large cut veggies, 4 hours for small, add potatoes and carrots, and reduce to low heat.

5.      A half hour to hour before serving time, mix your cornstarch with equal amount of water.

6.      Return crock to high heat and stir in your cornstarch mixture, stirring frequently till thickened into gravy. If it’s not thick enough for your tastes after about 15 minutes, mix more cornstarch/water to add. Add browning sauce at this time for color if preferred.

7.      Stir in salt and pepper to taste, and serve when you are ready.

I have a large family, and I also invite guests over a lot. My cooking methods are for budgeting as well as serving many. I would rather make too much food than not enough, and sometimes it is difficult to record my recipes in amounts because I do much of my cooking by eye…without recipes. 

        

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...